Re: Issues 368 and 369 Proposal

Here's some text to start from. It fudges exactly what is conformance (para
2, sentence 1) -- awaiting the outcome of John's suggested discusion topic
-- but I think it answers the other issues. The text would be added as new
subsections into Parts 1 and 2.

<proposal>
1.3 Conformance
A conforming implementation of the SOAP specification is called a SOAP node
[ref].

A SOAP node can claim to conform to the SOAP 1.2 specification when it
processes SOAP messages that conform to the SOAP message construct [see 5.
SOAP Message Construct] and according to the SOAP processing rules [see 2.
SOAP Processing Model]. Implementers should find the assertions and tests
described in SOAP Version 1.2 Specification Assertions and Test Collection
[ref] useful in building and testing conformant SOAP nodes. A SOAP node may
additionally implement: support for the SOAP data model [ref], the SOAP
encoding of that data model [ref], the SOAP RPC representation [ref], and
the SOAP HTTP binding, or any combination thereof, although such
implementations are not required of a SOAP 1.2 compliant SOAP node. To
briefly summarise, a SOAP node must implement Part 1 of the SOAP 1.2
specification to be compliant, and it may additionally implement any, all
or none of the adjuncts from Part 2 of the SOAP 1.2 specification although
any such implementations do not change the implementation's compliance to
the SOAP 1.2 specification.

SOAP 1.2 is designed to enable at least the usage scenarios described in
SOAP Version 1.2 Usage Scenarios [ref], and possibly other scenarios.
Informal descriptions showing XML representations of concrete SOAP messages
used in some common scenarios are provided in SOAP Version 1.2 Part 0:
Primer [ref].
</proposal>

David C. Fallside, IBM
Ext Ph: 530.477.7169