RE: Proposal for various Infosetisms

From: Rich Salz <rsalz@datapower.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 09:32:53 -0400 (EDT)
To: Martin Gudgin <mgudgin@microsoft.com>
cc: "noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com" <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>, "xml-dist-app@w3.org" <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

It would be nice to be able to sign an entire SOAP message -- for
example, a logging subsystem -- but it's not currently possible.
You need some form of SOAP canonicalization.  In addition to the
question of being able to remove the SOAP header element, there
is the issue of whitespace between top-level header elements,
re-ordering of headers, etc.

I suggest that the spec include a caveat that it is currently only
"safe" to sign individual header and body child elements (but not that
XMLDSIG can sign multiple things at once).

Alternatively, ressurect my soap c14n proposal from nearly a year ago;
but it's probably too late in the game to add that now.
        /r$