RE: Proposal for dealing with root, top-level multi-refs and encodingStyle

From: <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 14:35:57 -0400
To: "Henrik Frystyk Nielsen" <henrikn@microsoft.com>
Cc: "Martin Gudgin" <martin.gudgin@btconnect.com>, xml-dist-app@w3.org
Henrik Frystyk Nielsen writes:

>> I think the only need for introducing the notion
>> of a root in the data model is to describe
>> that whenever you have cross-references between
>> serialization trees, you have a single graph.

I guess I don't see why the notion of root is the right way to achieve
that.  If that's what we're trying to say, why not include the following

"All element information items representing serialized nodes and envelopes
must be within the scope of  an encodingStyle="...soap encoding URI..".
The number and placement of such encodingStyle attributes is not otherwise
significant;  ref attribute information items MAY refer to ID's in the
scope of a same or different encodingStyle attribute, which MAY but need
not be within the same SOAP body or header block.  In all such cases, the
result is a single edge (and therefore a single graph.)"

The wording might be cleaned up, but I think that's clearer than
introducing a notion of root.

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142