Re: Email binding issue

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 13:40:00 -0500 (EST)
To: highland.m.mountain@intel.com (Mountain, Highland M)
Cc: xml-dist-app@w3.org
Hi Highland,

> Mark,
> In an earlier draft of this document, there were SMTP (and POP3) commands
> included to illustrate mail client and server interaction.  A small sub team
> met and decided that it is not the responsibility of SOAP to define email
> infrastructure communication and therefore, these commands should not be in
> the binding document.  The email infrastructure (i.e. which email clients,
> servers and associated commands along the message path) is of no interest to
> SOAP, just the content of the mail message.
> Thoughts?

Hmm, interesting.  Is the discussion around that decision archived
anywhere?  I'm just curious about the reasoning behind it.

I think that an email protocol binding needs to bind to an email
protocol. 8-) "email" is a bit wide open, as it can refer to "email
transfer", "email access", "email synchronization" (roughly
corresponding to SMTP, POP3, and IMAP).  I assumed that this work was
for email transfer, so I expected to see a SMTP binding.  And IMO, SMTP
fits best with SOAP (since it "sends stuff"), so it would be my

Thanks for the prompt reply.