Re: Web-friendly SOAP

I am confused by this comment -- HTTP uses TCP, which is a (relatively)
reliable transport, as opposed to UDP. It's common convention to refer to
TCP as a reliable transport, particularly when comparing it with UDP.

For example (to quote from a random comparison document,
http://www.transarc.ibm.com/Support/dce/general/tcp_and_udp.html) "You may
be aware that UDP, a datagram-type communications protocol, is commonly
referred to as being an 'unreliable network transport', while TCP, a
connection-oriented protocol, is described as being a 'reliable transport'.
This is because at the OS level, no attempt is made to detect dropped or
out-of-sequence UDP packets, whereas the OS implementation of TCP makes use
of sophisticated error-correcting techniques to prevent data loss."

What do you mean by "reliable"? Transactional (e.g. like DCE RPC's
error-correcting layer that runs over both UDP and TCP)? ACID?

- Laird Popkin