Re: Web method values as QNames (was Re: FW: LC Comments: Web Method Feature

From: <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 16:14:32 -0400
To: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Cc: rubys@us.ibm.com, "'xml-dist-app@w3.org'" <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

Mark Baker writes:

>>But if other SOAP libraries are going to have the
>> same issue as Axis - that they need a URI to
>> QName-ize the HTTP method - then having a
>> standardized one would probably help in these ways;

Interesting.  Some of you may remember that my first proposal for doing
GET in SOAP was to invent a REST:GET body element, and to have the HTTP
binding recognize that as a special case that would be sent on the wire as
HTTP GET.  When the task force convened to produce the actual
specification, that approach did not meet with concensus.

I am not suggesting any changes in the spec, or that we made a mistake.
I'm just noting that what Sam wants for Axis is not far from (though not
necessarily identical to) what we considered along the way.  Were it
earlier in the process, I might argue for reconsidering our SOAP design. I
think what we have is more than acceptable.  If Axis wants to trigger
web-method using what appears to be the QName of a SOAP body entry, then
Axis can do so.

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142