Re: Issue: SOAP Data Model Schema language may be necessary (related to #231)

From: Pete Hendry <peter.hendry@capeclear.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 14:06:27 +1200
To: xml-dist-app@w3.org

>The issue then moved to asking whether all the array member EII
>names have to be the same - that's currently the issue #231.

Why is it the case that these are not the same? Using schema munging it
is generally possible to generate a schema for soap-enc that can be used
in a validating parser, *except* for arrays. If the name was fixed then
this would resolve that problem. Currently there is no way to munge a
soap-enc schema into a validatable schema because of the array element
names being allowed to differ from the schema definition. I feel that
soap implementors should not have to be concerned with validating a
message that can be described by the schema language when a validating
parser could do it instead. Most toolkits are still lacking full
validation simply because they cannot delegate it to a parser.

I always wondered why they are allowed to be different and what benefit
it brings? Such a simple change would also make the message more
predictable and also possibly aid interoperability (at least it wouldn't
hinder it).

Pete