Re: FW: LC Comments: Web Method Feature

Mark Baker wrote:

> As for the undefined behaviour, I have strong believe that we should
> make it mandatory that a user specify the method.  For example, in
> Apache Axis, I've been talking with Sam Ruby and he's agreed with me[1]
> that the Web method should be specified in setOperationName(), the call
> that is used to specify the WSDL operation that is invoked on the remote
> object.  In the case of setOperationName (and I assume, the equivalent
> for all other SOAP/WSDL libraries), it must always be used and has
> no default value.  For the same reason, I believe that the Web method
> should not have a default value (and fwiw, I raised this[2] with WSD).

I was quite willing to explore it, but I don't believe that we came to
agreement.  The setOperationName [3] method accepts a namespace qualified
name as an argument.  If there was a standard QName defined for this
concept in the SOAP specification, then I would certainly see to it that
Axis support it.  Whenever we got around to that part of the discussion,
you seemed to acknowledge that a QName was required in almost a Sinefeldian
"not that there is anything wrong with that". [4] [5] [6]

If there isn't an interopable standard, then I don't see much value in this
approach.  Just so it is crystal clear to everybody - I see great value in
the soap response MEP [7].  I see great value in an HTTP GET binding.  It
is just the binding of this concept to the JAX RPC API that, IMHO, should
not be done in an Axis specific manner.  As this API is bound to specific
concepts defined in the SOAP and WSDL specifications, I would go further
and state that I would prefer that this not be done in a Java specific
manner.

- Sam Ruby

[3] http://nagoya.apache.org/gump/javadoc/xml-axis/java/build/javadocs/javax/xml/rpc/Call.html#setOperationName(javax.xml.rpc.namespace.QName)
[4] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=axis-dev&m=102597127912077&w=2