Re: FW: LC Comments: Web Method Feature

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 22:15:21 -0400
To: Jacek Kopecky <jacek@systinet.com>
Cc: Marc Hadley <marc.hadley@Sun.COM>, "'xml-dist-app@w3.org'" <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

Hi Jacek,

On Sun, Jul 14, 2002 at 11:43:58PM +0200, Jacek Kopecky wrote:
>  Mark,
>  does this mean that we can make an HTTP method called 'SOAP' and
> be done with all methods stuff? SOAP would be an HTTP method,
> just not defined in the HTTP specification. SOAP would be able to
> suit all currently defined MEPs. How good for the Web and for
> interoperability would this be?

That depends.  Is it an application semantic, and is its meaning
generic to all resources?  If so, it might be useful - but I'd
suggest renaming it to better reflect its true meaning. 8-)

>  I agree with Marc that MEP and safeness are orthogonal, while
> MEP and WebMethod are not, so we may solve this whole issue by
> removing the WebMethod feature and adding a property of the HTTP
> binding (or of the SOAP Response MEP) indicating the safeness of
> the operation.
>  IOW, we need to control an aspect of the binding's message (the
> method) so we MUST provide it with the necessary information.
> Calling a required piece of information a 'feature' is IMHO a
> misnomer. Calling it a property would be better.

Well, as it stands right now, the Web method is exposed as a property.
So you're suggesting replacing it with a "safe" property and removing
any mention of the method?  This is my understanding of Stuart and
Marc's positions.

In addition to my strong objection, I'd note that this would be a
substantial change to what we agreed to go to Last Call with, so would
presumably set us back to Working Draft status.

MB