Re: Asynchronous Web Services!

From: Jacek Kopecky <jacek@systinet.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 21:59:02 +0200 (CEST)
To: Naresh Agarwal <nagarwal@in.firstrain.com>
cc: xml-dist-app@w3.org

 Naresh,
 I believe SOAP 1.2 supports asynchronous messaging, or at least
does not put any obstacles in its way. In fact, SOAP 1.1 was the
same, just less explicitly and this might have been confusing.
 In WSDL, as a language for describing separate nodes/services,
can be used to describe asynchronous endpoints using the oneway
operations. The description of asynchronous interactions is
out-of-scope for WSDL.
 For developers, it is not always easy or feasible to program an
application in a completely asynchronous manner, i.e. as an
event-driven application. I know some companies are pushing
all-asynchronous approaches and other companies are pushing
all-synchronous approaches to programming web services (whatever
they might be), but I think a mixture is better.
 To summarize, I think SOAP and WSDL are OK for asynchronous
services; and I don't think asynchronous web services are the
sole future.
 Best regards,

                   Jacek Kopecky

                   Senior Architect, Systinet Corporation