RE: FW: LC Comments: Web Method Feature

From: Mike Dierken <mike@dataconcert.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 10:26:37 -0700
To: "'xml-dist-app@w3.org'" <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
Cc: "'Amelia A Lewis'" <alewis@tibco.com>, Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>

I disagree about URIs implying a pull model and synchronous interactions.
The mailto:mike@dataconcert.com URI isn't pull and it isn't synchronous.
Any http based URI support PUT and POST - which are messages pushed to the
server.
The site http://www.topiczero.com/ shows an http/javascript client that
receives messages asynchronously pushed by a server (when it works...).
The somewhat popular Gnutella network - built in part by Gene Kan who
unfortunately passed away recently - uses URIs and HTTP to do its thing.

So, URI are identifiers, how you interact with what they identify - topics,
queues, mailboxes, people, cars, songs, etc. - is a separate issue.

Mike "The Web works both ways" Dierken