RE: FW: LC Comments: Web Method Feature (really: REST & SOAP)

From: Eugene Kuznetsov <eugene@datapower.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2002 22:33:37 -0400
To: "'Paul Prescod'" <paul@prescod.net>, "'Champion, Mike'" <Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com>, <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

> I think we all agree that HTTP should be the basis for new
> technologies.
> The question is whether they are *new layers* or *new extensions*.

Paul, I must say that your message is one of the most concise
and lucid explanations of this viewpoint. I don't agree with it,
but I can now much better appreciate its logic.

I think one difference is that XML & XHTML can be part of the
same world, consumed by the same clients. The whole point of
HTML, content-negotiation and browsers gracefully falling back
to LCD is that the consumers are the same -- so the nature of
layering is important. To use the <P> example, you could have
something like <P author="john"> and <P author="joe">, and all
browsers could still make sense of it -- and some could take
advantage of the "author" attribute. This kind of extensibility
is important.

However, the target for HTTP-transported web services isn't
the same as HTML browsers. It's a bit like streaming video
-- OK, yes, you can transport it over HTTP, but it requires
totally different functionality and there's no graceful
'fallback' for an HTML-only browser -- but even more so, where
at least with HTML & video you still have a person consuming
the data, but with web services it's a server-to-server comlink.

\\ Eugene Kuznetsov
\\ eugene@datapower.com
\\ DataPower Technology, Inc.