RE: FW: LC Comments: Web Method Feature

From [1]:

<quote>
  Axiom

     In HTTP, GET must not have side effects.

  The introduction of any other method apart from GET which has no side
  effects is also incorrect, because the results of such an operation
  effectively form a separate address space, which violates the
universality.
</quote>

...care to comment?

> I have to admit to being confused by the suggestions to derive the
> method.  Why is that desirable?

Well we continue to have the two views... the chameleon view and the
messaging/tunneling view.

We are close to a position that admits both views. The Web Method features
enables the chameleon to take on the REST resource state manipulation and
retrieval view. Mandating its use (needlessly IMO) denies the
messaging/tunneling view.

> A developer has to know what methods are being invoked.  How else can they
get their job done?

Developers of binding implementations will know... the binding specification
will tell them.

Developers of SOAP applications will know the semantics of the features they
use, because the feature specification will tell them. If the resource state
view is important to them, they will use the Web Method feature. If they
think more in terms of message exchange (in a binding agnostic fashion) Web
Method is unlikely to be a feature they will use.

Developers of Soup to Nuts homogeneous implementations will likely
streamline their implementations based on their understanding of the
agregate behaviour of their application and the features and bindings it
actually uses.

> MB
> --
> Mark Baker, CTO, Idokorro Mobile (formerly Planetfred)
> Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA.               distobj@acm.org
> http://www.markbaker.ca        http://www.idokorro.com

Cheers,

Stuart