Re: Media types

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 12:16:00 -0500 (EST)
To: skw@hplb.hpl.hp.com (Williams, Stuart)
Cc: gtn@rbii.com ('Gavin Thomas Nicol'), www-tag@w3.org, xml-dist-app@w3.org
> I think we agree... in some sense the media-type communicates something that
> is not simply discernable by looking at the content. It's not redundant
> information, in some sense it adds value.

A media type can be used to convey information not available in the
content, without a doubt.

The interesting question is, using XML and namespaces, can we specify
generic processing and dispatch behaviour such that we don't need any
out of band information.  In theory, I know we can.  In practice, I'm
not sure.  XSLT certainly hurts our ability to do this with the
*/xml types.

MB