Re: Media types

From: Gavin Thomas Nicol <gtn@rbii.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 11:43:00 -0500
To: "Williams, Stuart" <skw@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org, xml-dist-app@w3.org
On Thursday 17 January 2002 11:36 am, Williams, Stuart wrote:
> I think we agree... in some sense the media-type communicates
> something that is not simply discernable by looking at the content.
> It's not redundant information, in some sense it adds value.

Right. I think MIME type is insufficient though. Eventually, we want
to be able to say

   "this is an html document, and I authorize you to view this in a
    browser"

thereby disallowing producing a PDF from it, or interpreting it as a
stylesheet.

Even for simple type labelling, MIME needs to be arbitraryily
extensible (whence the text/xml/<whatever> debate).