Re: Article: Fat protocols slow Web services

Dave Winer wrote:

> To form an opinion on this you'd have to have an application in mind and
> then do some performance comparisons under realistic loads. My intuition
> says it doesn't matter much how fat XML is for protocols -- the Internet and
> LANs have scaled to push around lots of images and MP3s, which are huge
> compared to SOAP or XML-RPC messages. Dave

All true.  My point is that it seems the author might've been a little sloppy;
it's not clear what he meant by "fat."  Seems unlikely (as you point out) that
the issue is anything inherent in the protocols themselves (such as payload
size, etc.) but rather in the particular (mis-)uses the guy might be
considering.

jb