Re: Article: Fat protocols slow Web services

From: Francis Norton <francis@redrice.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 12:37:13 +0000
To: Dave Winer <dave@userland.com>
CC: xml-dist-app@w3.org
Hi,

Dave Winer wrote:

> To form an opinion on this you'd have to have an application in mind and
> then do some performance comparisons under realistic loads. My intuition
> says it doesn't matter much how fat XML is for protocols -- the Internet and
> LANs have scaled to push around lots of images and MP3s, which are huge
> compared to SOAP or XML-RPC messages. Dave

In fact Web Services could end up reducing waits for dial-up users, by displacing Web Queries.

If my personal organiser can check the train times and the state of my portfolio by doing text-only Web Services instead of me having to plough through GIF-encrusted, advert-laden corporate sites, this could give us a marked reduction in traffic

Francis.