Re: SOAP port number

Should we also define a port for SOAP over SMTP? What if a HTTP
message is Multipart, containing some HTML, a jpeg and a SOAP
message?

Of course people use ports to control traffic; I do it myself. It
doesn't follow that everything should have a port.

The semantic of a port is "messages sent to and received from it have
a reasonable expectation to comply with a specified protocol."
SOAPoverHTTP messages are in the HTTP format, as specified by the
port registration. Using port as a heuristic to determine what's
happening in the protocol is unreliable. Codifying the use of such
heuristics restricts the ultimate expressiveness of the Web.

It would be interesting to see what IANA would think of the
registration of what is effectively an existing protocol with a
specific payload format, however.

--
Mark Nottingham
http://www.mnot.net/