RE: SOAP port number

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <henrikn@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 09:25:17 -0800
To: "Mark Baker" <distobj@acm.org>
Cc: "Krishna Sankar" <ksankar@cisco.com>, <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

IIRC, we decided [3] to keep the port and have a security section in the
HTTP binding section warning about the dangers of using SOAP over HTTP
in general and in particular about the port issue.

One reason being that registering for another port has a whole slew of
other problems associated with it that causes a lot of complexity and
little gain. Should we register secondary ports for SMTP and any other
protocol that can also carry SOAP?

Hmm, the HTTP security section [1] (which still has to be written) seems
to have fallen out of the latest draft [2].

Henrik

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-soap12-part2-20011002/#soapsec
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-soap12-part2-20011217/
[3] http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/1/09/f2f-minutes.html