RE: Issue 182: Fault Code restriction: "At Most One Fault Proposal"

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <henrikn@microsoft.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 11:00:49 -0800
To: "Williams, Stuart" <skw@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Cc: <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

I agree with you analysis that a fault may not be sent anywhere, but it
seems that there are many ways in which one can detect a failure in
addition to receiving a concrete SOAP fault message. Regardless of how a
fault is detected from the outside, I think it is important that we
provide a deterministic state machine for a SOAP processor. Currently we
provide two final states: "failure" and "non-failure" and as part of
this I think we have to indicate how one gets to these states in all
cases. Otherwise we end up with a funny third "don't know" state.

Henrik