Re: Issue 133: SOAP and Web Architecture: Draft sentences for HTTP bi nding preamble.

From: <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 12:12:22 -0500
To: alex@shop.com
Cc: Martin Gudgin <marting@develop.com>, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, Paul Prescod <paulp@ActiveState.com>, "Williams, Stuart" <skw@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, xml-dist-app@w3.org, xml-dist-app-request@w3.org
Alexander Jacobson writes:

>> You need something that identifies a function call as being idempotent

Yes, but not necessarily determinable from the contents of the SOAP
envelope, the method names, etc.  I would expect that the "idempotency"
would be captured in the specifications for the serivce, probably in the
accompanying WSDL, perhaps in the UDDI if you're using that, etc.  So, if
I identify getSocialSecurityNumber(name) as idempotent in a WSDL or
similar description, I would expect that the endpoints identified as
supporting that service would indicate that they are using the HTTP GET
binding (sorry for the US-centric example) .  None of this requires us to
infer from the method name or other contents of a SOAP envelope that the
service is idempotent.  Thanks.

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142