RE: Issue with soap-rpc:result

From: Jacek Kopecky <jacek@systinet.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 14:51:59 +0100 (CET)
To: Tim Ewald <tjewald@develop.com>
cc: "'XMLDISTAPP'" <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
Tim, please see my replies below.

                   Jacek Kopecky

                   http://www.systinet.com/

 > > I had originally seen SOAP 1.1 as being closer to #2. I now
 > > see lots of
 > > discussion and proposed text that seems to presume model #1.
 > > We seem to
 > > be freely talking about "interfaces" (an endpoint construct), or from
 > > Gudge's note:
 > >
 > > "For example, given the following COM IDL method signature:
 > >
 > >         void Add ( [in] long x, [in] long y, [out] long* sum );"
 > >
 > > which is very much an option #1 way of looking at the world.
 >
 > I think *loads* of people think of not just the SOAP RPC model, but SOAP
 > as a whole this way.

I for myself learned SOAP starting with version 1.1 and it seemed
to me from the start that RPC is just an optional layer above
SOAP. But I don't have enough statistical information to be able
to contradict your sentence above, therefore it may be useful to
try to stress this point in the spec. I think this was attempted
already, if only by calling the RPC convention an adjunct.

Jacek