Re: Proposal for resolution of issue 176

From: Jean-Jacques Moreau <moreau@crf.canon.fr>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 12:00:58 +0100
To: noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com
CC: chris.ferris@sun.com, henrikn@microsoft.com, xml-dist-app@w3.org, Herve Ruellan <ruellan@crf.canon.fr>
I'd be concerned if we completely disallowed intermediairies to
change the lexical representation of a message. First, we would
not be able to use off-the-shelf DOM parsers, since (I believe)
most of them throw away the original XML. This restriction may go
away in the future as parser's adapt to SOAP's special needs.
Second, a resource constraint device acting as an intermediary
may simply not be able to store the entire message and reproduce
a byte-for-byte identical copy.

Jean-Jacques.