RE: Issue with soap-rpc:result

 Tim, others,
 I see a push away from a graph model to a tree described by XML
Schema here. I think mostly you are pushing an open door.
 We have two orthogonal ways to proceed if we want to change
something:
 1) change the SOAP Data Model and SOAP Encoding to, possibly, a
set of guidelines for mapping some kinds of graphs to XML Schema
structures,
 2) change the SOAP RPC convention to be based on pure XML, not
on the Data Model.
 These approaches can be combined, too.

 I'll start with 2: I support this change, only the majority on
the RPC task force was of the opinion that the RPC convention
should be based on our data model.
 And I think this is really what Tim and probably Andrew, too,
want. Since IMO RPC is orthogonal to any Data model, it could
(and should) be modeled as such - as I indicated before, we could
make the request an element, the parameters elements, too, and
these elements could be encoded using any (or no) encoding like
the SOAP Encoding of the SOAP Data model. Therefore the
parameters' values could be in any data model, even in different
ones.

 Let me get back to 1: There has been a lot of effort in the
Encoding task force to clarify and simplify the Encoding rules in
order to minimalize the problems in implementations (and as an
implementor myself, I think we've done a great deal).
 The situation with SOAP Encoding should not be view as forcing
the implementors to choose. It's rather that the SOAP Data model
and the SOAP Encoding thereof are attempts to standardize the
interchange of data in a very common data model. SOAP is not
going to be used only to develop new applications in "the XML
way", it is going to be used to connect to existing applications,
often on the principle of RPC, often with data in a graph data
model not unlike ours. This is the reason for the RPC and the
Encoding sections, as I see it.

 Therefore I vote yes on 2 - decoupling RPC from the graph data
model (which is unnecessary and over-complex for the task of
representing RPC requests and responses), and I vote no on 1 -
effectively removing the Data Model and the Encoding. (I don't
want to describe our Data model's structures with XML Schema,
that's like describing curves with a linear model.)

 The only problem is that the question 2 was already discussed in
the summer in the RPCTF, and that the WG might be reluctant to
(re)open this issue. It can always be indicated that our adjuncts
are not mandatory and that not using them is nothing bad at all
when the task is incompatible with the assumptions of the
particular adjunct.

 Best regards,

                   http://www.systinet.com/