Re: Issue with soap-rpc:result

On Wed, 6 Feb 2002 13:22:15 -0500, in soap you wrote:

>> This also appears to be a potential issue when using the soap
>> encoding, If i understand correctly, the SOAP message will have to
>> include an xsi:type on the result element to indicate its type, yet
>> the rules for encoding state
>> "For each element containing a value, the type of the value MUST be
>> represented by at least one of the following conditions: (a) the
>> containing element instance contains an xsi:type attribute, (b) the
>> containing element instance is itself contained within an element
>> containing a (possibly defaulted) enc:arrayType attribute or (c) or
>> the name of the element bears a definite relation to the type, that
>> type then determinable from a schema."
>>
>> In this case neither options (b) nor (c) appear possible for the
>> result element.
>
>Why would this be an issue? Since b and c are not possible, that only leaves
>xsi:type and different implementations have no way of doing different
>things.

Its an issue because the encoding spec says i can choose to do one of
three things, whilst later the RPC spec ties me to doing (a), which if
you are trying to do (c), is a problem [as is the fact that arrays are
special cased to also include type information on the wire]

Cheers
Simon
www.pocketsoap.com