Re: Reflective systems

Sorry,  I think I phrased it wrong.  I did not mean the "is a necessary ..."  The point I was trying to make is: if you have the inheritance tree on the wire (see the ILU from Xerox PARC), it made it easy for me to implement reflections in a manner independent of the programming language.  nor did I imply that reflective is self descriptive or anything like that.  Thank you

Marwan
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: John J. Barton
  To: Marwan Sabbouh ; Kurt Cagle ; xml-dist-app@w3.org
  Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 12:53 PM
  Subject: Re: Reflective systems

  Ok hold on here.  Reflective systems do not require
  strong typing: see for example Smalltalk:
  "Reflective Facilities in Smalltalk-80"
  Brian Foote, Ralph E. Johnson, OOPSLA 1989
  http://www.laputan.org/ref89/ref89.html
  or
  Smalltalk: a Reflective Language
  Fred Rivard
  http://www.emn.fr/cs/object/biblio/publications/reflection96/reflection96.html
  (Smalltalk being the arch-typical *not* strong-typed language).

  And reflective is not self-descriptive.  "Reflective" is reasonably
  well defined in programming-language land.  Self descriptive is
  somewhat less well defined as I understand it, but most importantly
  the term refers messages not programming languages.  You can
  have a reflective distributed system without self-descriptive
  messages and a non-reflective distributed system with
  self-descriptive messages.

  I don't want to start a whole debate on this but neither should
  we be mixing apples and crankshafts.

  John.