array dimension zero?

From: Jacek Kopecky <jacek@systinet.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 11:11:24 +0100 (CET)
To: <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
 Hi all, 8-)
 Simon Fell has brought up a potential issue against the array
serialization rules:

 The current rules don't allow zeros as sizes in arrays'
dimensions.
 The most notable usecase for having a zero in there is an empty
one-dimensional array, which can be easily represented by
arraySize="*" or no arraySize attribute at all.
 Another usecase for having zeros in arraySize attribute would be
multidimensional arrays with some sizes really zero but I am not
at all sure that such a thing is really necessary and that the
zero is necessary on a position other than the first in arraySize
value, same as "*". What is an array with arraySize="2 0 3" ? It
can be argued mathematically that it's absolutely equivalent to
an empty one-dimensional array. On the other hand, I think some
programming languages can in fact convey multidimensional arrays
with some size being zero.

 Anyway, I think the real concrete question here is:
 Do we change positiveInteger to nonNegativeInteger in order to
allow zeros as concrete sizes?

                   Jacek Kopecky

                   http://www.systinet.com/