Re: Issue 133, and permitting no body

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 11:46:53 -0500 (EST)
To: noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com (Noah Mendelsohn)
Cc: xml-dist-app@w3.org (xml-dist-app), ylafon@w3.org (ylafon)
> It may not be clear why I think this is so important:  applications will
> want to do the same SOAP calls to a variety of endpoints, without being
> much aware of the binding.  getStockQuote bound to HTTP may well be a GET.
>  getStockQuote bound to MQSeries may be very different on the wire.  The
> point is, the application wants a fair degree of transparency in the SOAP
> envelope, and if applicable the WSDL and or UDDI.  Using a different body
> convention (I.e. eliminating it) doesn't feel right to me at all.

Well, this is one of the main problems with this view of SOAP from a Web
architecture perspective; requiring that "getStockQuote" be understood
by both ends of the pipe necessarily means that a priori communication
cannot occur (without signalling this in some manner), and that Web
architecture is not being adherred to.

Web architecture works primarily by *limiting* the understanding
required by each participant in the chain to a small but generic set of
meanings, primarily GET, PUT, POST, and DELETE.  This is how a priori
communication can occur with just an HTTP URI, because the URI scheme
indicates the supported interface.

MB