One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142

"Williams, Stuart" <skw@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
02/01/2002 11:28 AM

        To:     Noah Mendelsohn/Cambridge/IBM@Lotus
        cc:     xml-dist-app@w3.org
        Subject:        RE: One-way messaging in SOAP 1.2

Hi Noah,

I think I see more clearly where you are coming from. For me you alternate
wording :

> * In the binding framework, state that:  "Binding specifications that
> support more than one MEP MUST specify the means by which the send and
> receiver of a message can agree on the MEP being used.

has some ambiguity in that it is open to an interpretation that bindings
may
agree use a different MEP from that requested/required by the SOAP node
that
initiates the message exchange. Given what you've said I don't think that
this is how you intended to be interpreted. The way I see it is that the
initiator of a message exchange request the use of an MEP that a binding
has
already claimed that it supports.

I agree with the sentiment below:

> Since bindings are allowed to engage in that
> bi-directional "chatter" for a variety of purposes, why not to establish
> the MEP?

The crutial point is that all participant in the exchange become aware of
what MEP is in use. I think it is the 'agree' word that triggered my
response. How about:

* In the binding framework, state that:  "Binding specifications that
support more than one MEP MUST specify the means by which all binding
instances participating in a message exchange become aware of the
MEP being used.

Regards

Stuart

appropriate