Re: Issue 133, and permitting no body

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 11:41:58 -0500 (EST)
To: noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com (Noah Mendelsohn)
Cc: xml-dist-app@w3.org, ylafon@w3.org (Yves Lafon)
> A SOAP message without a body seems
> to me to be a SOAP message that doesn't do anything, but carries in its
> headers lots of modifiers that would have applied if you were doing
> anything.  Maybe I'm missing something, but that doesn't make sense to me.

GET does do something (retrieval).  It just does it without side-effect.

Suppose somebody defines a transaction-id SOAP header.  Wouldn't it be
a good idea to permit GET to be used within a transactional context?

Rich has defined a SOAP extension for authentication.  Why not use that
for GET too?

I believe the same goes for any header which makes sense on an idempotent,
side-effect free method.

MB