RE: Closing XML Protocol Last Call issue 395

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <henrikn@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 08:11:31 -0800
To: <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Cc: "Martin Gudgin" <mgudgin@microsoft.com>, <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

>"If the communicating parties use the SOAP HTTP binding with
>the serialization defined by the application/soap+xml" media
>type AND there is a >> Document Type Declaration (I.e.
><!DOCTYPE ...> ) present in the XML for the message,  then
>either one or both of the binding implementation(s) do not
>follow the rules defined by SOAP's use of that media type and
>hence break the binding specification."

Yes, that's correct, it should be DTD and not DTD II.

>  Also, I don't THINK the media type rules out  <!DOCTYPE> in
>all cases.
>It's restrictions on content are the same as application/xml,
>I think, right?

The media type is explicitly defined as the serialization of a SOAP
message infoset and not just any old XML. This limitation prohibits a
<!DOCTYPE> for all legal uses of the media type.

>I left out the second sentence because I specifically think it
>IS ok for other bindings to use the DTD as mechanism on the
>wire, as long as they later put together an infoset in which
>it is invisible (which may well be an infoset that is not the
>one derived directly from the parse of the inbound message,
>but is a synthetic infoset that takes most of its info from
>the parsed message, but cleans it up to get rid of any
>vestiges of the use of DTDs, entities, etc.

Note that the qualification of the 2nd sentence explicitly mentions
bindings *using* the "application/soap+xml" media type. The point is
that a serialization using this media type can not include a DTD
regardless of which binding it is. In short, if bindings (including the
HTTP binding) want to do tricks with DTDs then they can't use the
"application/soap+xml" media type. The purpose of the sentence is to
clarify this separation.

Henrik