RE: Closing XML Protocol Last Call issue 395

Right, that's the question.  The quote from section 2.8 is:

------
"If the XML document has a document type declaration, then the information
set contains a single document type declaration information item. Note
that entities and notations are provided as properties of the document
information item, not the document type declaration information item.

A document type declaration information item has the following properties:

* [system identifier] The system identifier of the external subset, as it
appears in the DOCTYPE declaration, without any additional URI escaping
applied by the processor. If there is no external subset this property has
no value.
* [public identifier] The public identifier of the external subset,
normalized as described in 4.2.2 External Entities [XML]. If there is no
external subset or if it has no public identifier, this property has no
value.
* [children] An ordered list of processing instruction information items
representing processing instructions appearing in the DTD, in the original
document order. Items from the internal DTD subset appear before those in
the external subset.
* [parent] The document information item."
---

So, in the case of an internal subset that defines entities, and nothing
else, we would get a mandatory document type declaration info item, but
with no values for any properties but [parent]?

Seems a bit strange to me, but I agree it could be read that way.  If so,
I suppose there is no issue.  I think what's making me nervous is that I
can't find an info item anywhere for parsed entities.  That's what leads
me to feel that you can't quite tell from the Infoset whether they are
there or not, and therefore whether a serialization might not include them
after all.   I read you to say:  right, you can't tell much about the
entities, element declarations, etc., but the absence of any document type
declaration info item does let you infer that there were none.  As I say,
these seems strange, since the whole drift of the infoset design seems to
be to not tell you whether they were there.  On the other hand, if
everyone reads it that way, I suppose I can go along.
On balance, I would prefer the clarification, if only in a note.  If we've
had to do this level of reasoning to prove that <!DOCTYPE > can't go in
the serialization, I fear that others may not see it that way either.

Related question that I raised before:  I think we're all agreed that we
intend receipt of <!DOCTYPE to result in an env:SENDER error.  Where do we
say whether that error is a MAY/MUST/SHOULD.  I think it should be a MUST
fault, as the message received is incoherent and known to be buggy.  Where
do we indicate that the error MUST be generated?  Thanks.

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142

"Martin Gudgin" <mgudgin@microsoft.com>
12/05/02 05:07 PM