Re: Draft of position on SOAP's use of XML Internal subset

From: Ray Whitmer <rayw@netscape.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 11:50:01 -0800
To: noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com
CC: fallside@us.ibm.com, xml-dist-app@w3.org

noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com wrote:

>I guess I don't really understand what you're trying to
>say here.  Adapting what to the subset?  Is there
>something out there that had some XML lying around and you
>want to use SOAP to send that fragment?  If that's your
>concern, why is that not covered by the sentence I
>included that said: "The tradeoff is that we have
>somewhat complicated things for those who prefer to use
>certain off-the-shelf processors, and for those who
>want to insert arbitrary XML into SOAP messages (there
>are many other problems doing that...a longer story
>than we have time for here.)"
You are right, it is covered.  Sorry.  That is all the rest of my
message was discussing.

Thanks for your help on these issues.

While I think that these "tradeoffs" could be seen as possible reasons
for applications not to subset XML on their own, I hope they are seen as
reasons for the TAG to standardize a subset that matches SOAP that could
encourage tools that support the subset that permit efficient processing
of the subset, detection of violations, development of more subset
applications that will more-directly interoperate, etc.