RE: Problem with resolution of Issue 221

Does this mean that a PI in the envelope itself SHOULD fault, but that it's
not a SOAP processor's job to care about PIs that may be in the payload of
the message?  Or does it mean that a PI anywhere inside the message
contained within a SOAP envelope should trigger a fault?

I totally agree that PIs should not be used as a "secret handshake" to
affect SOAP processing, and SOAP processors shouldn't have to worry about
preserving secret handshake PIs that they don't understand ... thus avoiding
classic interoperability problems faced by SGML and XML systems that do all
sorts of voodoo with PIs.

But if we're talking about PIs in the payload somewhere, why should SOAP
care one way or the other?  For example, if the payload of a SOAP message is
an XML document with a PI pointing to a default stylesheet, why is that a
Bad Thing for SOAP?