Re: Proposal for dealing with issue 200: SOAPAction header vs. action parameter

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 11:27:45 -0700
Cc: <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
To: "Henrik Frystyk Nielsen" <henrikn@microsoft.com>

On Tuesday, April 16, 2002, at 09:13  AM, Henrik Frystyk Nielsen wrote:

> 1) I would say that we should only have it in one place and like the
> direction of moving it entirely into the media type definition as a
> parameter.

Agreed.

> 2.A) We leave it entirely up to the media type being used to indicate in
> some manner that this is a SOAP message.

Personally, I prefer this, as long as some guidance is given to new
media type authors.

> 3) The spec editors should add a note to the spec that we know that this
> is an ID with no standing.

FYI, [1] is winding its way through the process; if it becomes standard,
the I-D will not become necessary (W3C will be able to directly request
the header registration from IANA, IIRC). It's probably still a safe bet
to maintain the draft for the time being, though.

1. http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-klyne-msghdr-
registry-04.txt

--
Mark Nottingham