RE: Updated proposal for issue 192

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <henrikn@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 10:58:15 -0700
To: <xml-dist-app@w3.org>, "Marc Hadley" <marc.hadley@sun.com>
Cc: <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>, <moreau@crf.canon.fr>

In the proposal [5] for dealing with issue 192 [0], Marc Hadley has
pointed out a lack of clarity in the proposal for item 1) "How to
identify a fault in a SOAP message" which needs to be addressed. The
current proposed wording for this particular part says:

>1) As to the question of determining when a SOAP fault is
>recognized as an "active" fault in a SOAP message by referring
>to the text already in SOAP 1.2, part 1 [1]:
>
>"To be recognized as carrying SOAP error information, a SOAP
>message MUST contain exactly one SOAP Fault as the only child
>element of the SOAP body. A SOAP fault element information
>item MAY appear within a SOAP header block, or as a descendant
>of a child element information item of the SOAP body; but, in
>such cases, the element has no SOAP-defined semantics."

Marc pointed out that it is not clear whether "MUST contain exactly one
SOAP fault as the only child element of the SOAP body" allows one to add
*other* information in the body *after* the SOAP fault or not. In other
words, is something like the following outline allowed?

  <Envelope>
    <Header>
    </Header>
    <Body>
      <Fault>
      </Fault>
      <MyExtraStuff>
      </MyExtraStuff>
    </Body>
  </Envelope>

My personal feeling is that it should *not* be allowed to have
"MyExtraStuff" as we already have a "detail" EII which can contain such
information as well as header blocks that can contain other end-to-end
information if need be. This was what I read the "...the only child
element" to mean (although it of course should use Infoset speak).

Comments?

Henrik

[0] http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/xmlp-issues.html#x192
[1] http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/1/10/11/soap12-part1.html#soapfault