From: Mark Nottingham [mailto:mnot@mnot.net]
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2001 9:42 AM
To: Jacek Kopecky
Cc: christopher ferris; Henrik Frystyk Nielsen; christopher ferris;
xml-dist-app@w3.org
Subject: Re: text/xml for SOAP is incorrect

I think that's the intent of the '+xml' - to allow MIME processors
identify it as an XML format.

My concern is not so much dispatch - which is what the request-uri
should be used for, at any rate - but for identifying the messages as
being formatted to the SOAP conventions for those that will casually
handle them, such as intermediaries.

We've decided to run the HTTP binding on port 80, and to use HTTP status
codes to indicate SOAP semantics. SOAPAction is optional. If SOAP 1.2
messages use application/xml, there is no easy way to identify a message
as SOAP. As a result, parts of the Web infrastructure may treat SOAP
messages as any old XML, performing transforms, etc. Additionally,
firewall vendors won't even have a stop-gap means of controlling the
flow of SOAP messages.

Is our intent to effectively hide the use of SOAP? Doing so seems to
risk both interoperability problems and the appearance that we're
antagonistic to firewalls, etc.

--
Mark Nottingham
http://www.mnot.net/