RE: text/xml for SOAP is incorrect

From: Jones, Matthew <MJones@NetSilicon.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 07:41:09 -0700
To: <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
I think the problem is that XML is really not a format at all it is a
meta format.  Also something like application/xml doesn't fit since xml
isn't an application or a file format format for an application that say
application/mathematica is.  I think that xml should be its own type and
the various instances should be its subtypes.  For example

If xhtml could become the standard I think

would make more sense than what we have now.  This allows a fall back to
xml for processing processors that don't have a renderer for say svgml.
I think if you compare with existing content types say image/jpeg you'll
see that as a metaphor xml has more in common with image than with jpeg.

Matthew Jones