RE: text/xml for SOAP is incorrect

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <henrikn@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 15:09:22 -0700
To: "Mark Nottingham" <mnot@mnot.net>
Cc: "Jacek Kopecky" <jacek@idoox.com>, "christopher ferris" <chris.ferris@Sun.COM>, <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

>This presupposes the necessity of reflecting the message's
>namespaces in the content-type; why is this necessary?

Well, isn't this how we have defined a mechanism for identifying SOAP --
by the use of a specific XML Namespace identifier?

If the content type is related to SOAP in any way then I think there is
an inherent link between whatever the content type is and the URI that
we pick for indicating that this is SOAP.

In this context, what does a shortname even mean? Do we expect
"application/soap+xml" to point to any SOAP including SOAP 1.1, SOAP
1.2, and beyond?

>Defining a content-type always involves a tradeoff in the
>granularity of information available. IIRC, the discussion you
>reference was in the context of replacing SOAPAction with
>something in the content-type, which is not the intent here
>(based upon our resolution of issue 95).

That maybe have been addressed in the long thread as well but at least
some parts talk about the use of "application/soap+xml" as a potential
content-type for SOAP.

Henrik