RE: Encoding XML in URIs

From: Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 21:25:46 -0700
To: "Mark Nottingham" <mnot@mnot.net>
Cc: "XML Distributed Applications List" <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
I think this discussion is based on a misapprehension:

http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-xforms-20010828/slice11.html#rpm-send-urlencode

is not about encoding XML in URIs at all, it's about encoding
form data (the result of filling out a form), and as section 11.5.1
point 5 notes, "Instance data is delivered over the network as
an HTTP POST".

The MIME type "application/x-www-form-urlencoded" uses the
_encoding method_ of URLs (%XX).

Frankly, I think application/x-www-form-urlencoded is a legacy
design with much awkward baggage that has less place in
XForms than <BLINK> has in XHTML.

> IMHO there are still fundamental and practical issues with this use
> of URIs, and personally I think this is something the TAG should
> address as soon as it gets instantiated, as it seems to be of
> interest in more than one context.

Since this isn't "a use of URIs" per se, I'm not sure there's
an issue.

Larry
--
http://larry.masinter.net