Proposed resolution on use of XML base

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <henrikn@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 10:28:36 -0700
To: <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
Cc: "David Orchard" <dorchard@bea.com>, "Jonathan Marsh" <jmarsh@microsoft.com>, "Paul Cotton" <pcotton@microsoft.com>, "Andrew Layman" <andrewl@microsoft.com>

David Orchard, Jonathan Marsh have been thinking more about the use of
XML base in SOAP and think there are two things we have to do:

1) SOAP 1.1 allows arbitrary URIs in all places where URIs are allowed.
W3C specs must say something about XML base and relative URIs. SOAP 1.1
didn't do that. With the move towards infoset in SOAP 1.2 we should be
consistent and not introduce special cases if not needed. The reason is
that it is not possible to disallow specific attributes and therefore
hard to enforce exceptions. That is, we recommend that XML base is fully
supported in SOAP 1.2.

2) We should ensure that protocol bindings talk about whether they
establish a base or not. The reason for this is that XML base is only
one way to set a base URI, base URIs may also be set by the underlying
protocol (XML base defines the relationship between multiple base URIs
based on RFC 2396). HTTP already defines a base URI for all entities
that it exchanges. If a content-location header field is present then
that defines the base. Otherwise the base URI is defined by the
Request-URI.

Hope this makes sense - comments?

Henrik