SOAP Binding Framework Concerns

From: Marwan Sabbouh <ms@mitre.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 09:03:27 -0400
To: xml-dist-app@w3.org

David;

I thought I run this by you before I forward it to the mailing list. Please
comment.

I am very concerned with the work taken place on the binding framework.
It seems as if we are creating a layer that sits between the
transport/transfer protocol and the SOAP layer.  In my mind, there isn't
a physical layer that is called the binding layer.  There isn't a
boundary between SOAP and the delivery protocol.  More importantly, there isn;'t
"a contract between SOAP and the
bindings/underlying protocols that SOAP uses", as described in Stuart's email to
Glyn Normington.  In my mind the contract is between the SOAP sender and
receiver.  WSDL is a good example of such a contract.  I invite the TBTF
workingb group to examine it.

Instead, a Web service that
binds itself to a particular protocol, is then able to receive
messages using that protocol.  In this context, aSOAP processor uses the
delivery mechanism specified by this service.  I am afraid we are making
it far more difficult than it needs to be.
What am I missing?

Marwan