Re: FW: Proposed positive text for XML Base

From: Marc Hadley <marc.hadley@sun.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 17:22:16 +0100
To: Jonathan Marsh <jmarsh@microsoft.com>
CC: xml-dist-app@w3.org
Jonathan Marsh wrote:

> This specification does not make use of URI References,
> only absolute URIs, so xml:base attributes will not
> affect the behavior of the SOAP envelope itself.
> Relative URI values (such as for the SOAP-ENV:EncodingStyle
> attribute) are not recognized as matching the absolute
> URI values mandated by this specification.

As Hugo pointed out [1] the current SOAP specification doesn't mandate
absolute URIs for the actor, faultactor and encodingStyle attributes. If
we adopt this suggested text then this will require a change to
introduce such a restriction and will prevent use of XML Base for these
attribute values.

IMO we should either support XML Base properly and allow it's use on
SOAP defined attributes as well as the message payload or not support it
at all. A kind of halfway-house, special-case-for-SOAP-defined-attributes
approach just complicates things.

Regards,
Marc.
[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-dist-app/2001Oct/0214.html

--
Marc Hadley <marc.hadley@sun.com>
XML Technology Centre, Sun Microsystems.