Re: Issue 4 Proposed Resolution (was: why no doc type declarationand PIsin SOAP)

From: Rich Salz <rsalz@zolera.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 15:09:59 -0400
To: francis@redrice.com
CC: xml-dist-app@w3.org
> But I'd like to suggest that we can satisfy both requirements more
> simply by standardizing on the XPath 1.0 data model. In other words we
> specify that ...

You seem to be missing the point that SOAP is also a wire protocol. It
is not sufficient to define a data model, but also to define what the
bits (bytes) on the wire must look like.  If you mandate either one in
isolation, you can end up making it very difficult to make strictly
conforming implementations.

E.g., if you say "Xpath data model" and I'm building on top of a DOM, it
can be hard for me to outlaw CDATA.
	/r$
--
Zolera Systems, Your Key to Online Integrity
Securing Web services: XML, SOAP, Dig-sig, Encryption