RE: updated proposal on issue #144 - array metadata in SOAP Encod ing

Hi Jacek,

  My comments are in >>>Murali<<<

>>Jacek
>>in my opinion the entity that knows best the array are or are
>>not sparse is the application. The serializer cannot reliably
>>guess an array it's serializing is sparse unless it scans through
>>a significant portion of the array which may be very inefficient.

>>> Murali

  I am sorry, I disagree. I don't see any reason why any guessing (as to
what is being sent on the wire) has to be done on the sender side unless the
sender side consists of improperly designed dis-joint pieces.

  First, let me state here that, IMO, your distinction of serializer and
application is very implementation centric. From the point of view of SOAP
there is no notion of serializer, there is just the SOAP defined wire format
for SOAP defined data model and there is a sender who is sending an array
(or whatever) under SOAP defined encoding rules.

  The sender (irrespective of the number of layers it is built up of -
serializer, application or whatever) knows what it is sending and that is
true for sparse arrays as well (in your layered approach if an application
cann't communicate this to its serializer it indicates an issue with the
design of the serializer and it has got nothing to do with SOAP and its
encoding).

  On the other hand, if the wire format of sparse arrays does not
unambiguously identify it as a sparse array, then the receiver has to do the
guess work (ofcourse, only if the receiver wants to treat the sparse array
differently)

  So, the question seems to me, why don't SOAP that seems to be supporting
sparse array as a first class citizen doesn't allow the sender to say it so
in a SOAP defined way, so that the receiver can appropriately deal with it.

<<<Murali