Re: updated proposal on issue #144 - array metadata in SOAP Encoding

From: <Noah_Mendelsohn@lotus.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 14:53:11 -0500
To: Jacek Kopecky <jacek@systinet.com>
Cc: xml-dist-app@w3.org
Jacek Kopecky writes:

>> There is no specific constraint on the
>> names of the member elements.

I think you need to clarify whether they will have to be the same.  If
not, perhaps issued give some guidance as to whether there is any semantic
difference between elements with different names.  For example, the SOAP
1.1 specification says:

"Within an array value, element names are not significant for
distinguishing accessors"

>> Each member's type MUST be a subtype

I agree with the spirit, but we have to walk a careful line regarding our
dependency on the W3C XML Schema specification.  First of all, I think
that specification defines "extension" and "refinement", but tends not to
use the term subtype.  Do we intend to allow extensions?  If I'm using a
different schema language or no schema language at all, what does the
above rule mean?

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142