Re: XMLP/SOAP spec - processing instructions

From: <mrossi@csc.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 11:40:05 -0400
To: xml-dist-app@w3.org
While the XML declaration may not be a PI, I also don't believe it's a
prolog. Maybe it's my SGML background rearing it's head again, but I
believe the prolog to be the portion of a document instance between the [
and ] of a DOCTYPE statement. The XML declaration is just that, the XML

Now as for the world of W3C XML Schema, I cannot yet comment on the
definition of prolog (if such a thing exists). But I'd love to hear what
others have to say about that.

Michael A. Rossi
Computer Sciences Corporation
856-983-4400 x4911

                    rysler.com                    To:     <xml-dist-app@w3.org>, <rwaldrop@webmethods.com>
                    Sent by:                      cc:
                    xml-dist-app-request@w        Subject:     Re: XMLP/SOAP spec - processing instructions
                    05/22/01 11:12 AM

According to syntax production 22 and 23 of XML v1.0 2nd edition the XML
declaration isn't a processing instruction.
PIs are governed by production 16. They are explicitly allowed solely
misc (27) and markup declaration (43) but not as child of document
Therefore the XML prolog cannot be a processing instruction.
Historically, it is a processing instruction but only in terms of SGML
a SGML aware processor to process the content after the PI as XML.