Untargetted blocks (was Re: Must understand mustUnderstand proposal)

From: Hugo Haas <hugo@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 19:24:17 +0900
To: xml-dist-app@w3.org
* Jean-Jacques Moreau <moreau@crf.canon.fr> [2001-05-09 11:38+0200]
> But then I think we have an issue with "anonymous" blocks, ie blocks which are
> not targeted at any specific intermediary, nor the final destination, but which
> contain information that can be factored out and be referenced by other blocks;
> examples: a digital signature, credentials, a photograph. If, by default,
> untargeted (header) blocks are targeted at the ultimate destination,
> "anonymous" blocks are out.
>
> (In a previous thread, "anonymous" blocks used to be called "untargeted"
> blocks, I believe.)
>
> Henrik, "anonymous blocks" sounds like a candidate for the issues list.

In the abstract model draft[1] dated 27 March 2001, section 4.1 reads:

    4. There are reserved actor URI's with special significance
       (actual path to be determined):
       http://.../none    // an untargeted block (may be referenced by
       other blocks)

       SOAP forces the actor for body entries to be the final
       processor.  Untargeted blocks (http://.../none) have no
       correlate in SOAP.

This was removed in the 30 March 2001 version[2]:

    Changes from Draft of 27th March 2001
  [..]
    4. Replaced section 4.1 (now section 4.2) with new text from Mark
       Jones

I have seen discussion[3] between Mark and yourself about these
untargetted/anonymous blocks, but I could not find why they
disappeared. Could somebody point me to an explanation?

Thanks.

  1. http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/1/03/27/XMLProtocolAbstractModel.html
  2. http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/1/03/30/XMLProtocolAbstractModel.html
  3. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-dist-app/2001Mar/thread.html#68