Re: [i95, i22] - Proposal for clarifying use of SOAPAction

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 11:34:44 -0700
To: "Williams, Stuart" <skw@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: "'Daniel Barclay'" <Daniel.Barclay@digitalfocus.com>, "'Henrik Frystyk Nielsen'" <henrikn@microsoft.com>, xml-dist-app@w3.org
On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 09:20:51AM +0100, Williams, Stuart wrote:

> > > Also, would we qualify as a "standards track document within the IETF
> > > Applications Area."?
> >
> > No, we're not a document.  :-)
>
> Ok... :-) re-phrasing then:
>
> Will a future XMLP spec qualify as an "standards track document within the
> IETF Applications Area."?

The way that we're doing this in P3P was to author a compact, minimal
internet-draft explaining the semantics and relevence of what is
being registered (an HTTP header in our case; actually, there isn't
an HTTP header registry, but same principle), and then pursue that on
an individual-submission standard track. This would mean that the
entire SOAP/XMLP effort would not need to go through the IETF
process, just a document explaining what we're doing that needs to
get registered.

--
Mark Nottingham
http://www.mnot.net/