Re: [AMG] Figure 2.1 suggested revision.

From: Jean-Jacques Moreau <moreau@crf.canon.fr>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 11:36:24 +0100
To: "Williams Stuart" <skw@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
CC: "Henrik Frystyk Nielsen (E-mail)" <frystyk@microsoft.com>, "John Ibbotson (E-mail)" <john_ibbotson@uk.ibm.com>, "Krishna Sankar (E-mail)" <ksankar@cisco.com>, "Lynne Thompson (E-mail)" <Lynne.Thompson@unisys.com>, "Marc Hadley (E-mail)" <marc.hadley@uk.sun.com>, "Mark A. Jones (E-mail)" <jones@research.att.com>, "Martin Gudgin (E-mail)" <marting@develop.com>, "Nick Smilonich (E-mail)" <nick.smilonich@unisys.com>, "Oisin Hurley (E-mail)" <ohurley@iona.com>, "Scott Isaacson (E-mail)" <SISAACSON@novell.com>, "Yves Lafon (E-mail)" <ylafon@w3.org>, "'xml-dist-app@w3.org'" <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
"Williams, Stuart" wrote:

> The recent rewording around handler has removed references to "XML protocol
> application" and the two proto definitions for "XML protocol processor" now
> place responsibility on the processor to invoke the handlers. In the process
> we loose the notion of a thing that 'uses' the XMLP layer and/or some
> (logical) container for a collection of handlers at a node. [...]

What I am concerned about with the revised figure, is that handlers appear to be
an integral part of XMLP protocol/specification. There is a difference between
handlers being invoked automatically by processors (I am ok with that), and them
still living in "protocol space" rather than "application space". I may not have
been your intention, but this is how I am reading the revised figure.

> Personnally I would prefer not to loose the concept of a user/client of the
> XMLP layer and I was reasonably comfortable with it as a container for a
> bunch of handlers. If "XMLP Application" is not a good terms for that
> concept, and there seems some reluctance to accept the term, then lets think
> of a new name for it. We've had:
>
>         Layer Client
>         XMLP Service user
>         XMLP Application
>
> My personal favorite remains Layer Client... but it seemed to cause
> confusion for some.

What about XMLP Service ? This would fit nicely with the forthcoming workshop on
Web Services...

Jean-Jacques.